Wim Wenders, Juliano Ribeiro Salgado, France, 2014, 109’
Direction : Wim Wenders, Juliano Ribeiro Salgado
Screenplay : Wim Wenders, Juliano Ribeiro Salgado, David Rosier
Sound : Aymeric Devoldere
Editing : Maxine Goedicke, Rob Myers
Photography : Hugo Barbier, Juliano Ribeiro Salgado
Producer : David Rosier
Production : Decia Films
In this documentary, Wim Wenders shows black and white photos of Brazilian photographer Sebastian Salgado, which speak more than words. Salgado, who instead of becoming a broker on Wall Street at the age of thirty discovered photography, worked as a photographer at the Agency Sigma, and then the famous Magnum. This fortunate circumstance happened in 1981, which enabled him to devote his whole life to what he loves. He managed to record with his camera the assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan. In the movie “Salt of the Earth” amazing black and white photography alternates with documentary footage that Salgado’s son and co-director of the film Juliano Ribeiro Salgado filmed on their journeys. Salgado takes photos of the people with whom he lives together - for days, sometimes for months - and shares their fate before he dares to make photography. He says that right must be earned.
About the Autors:
Wim Wenders was born in Düsseldorf in 1945. After two years of studying medicine and philosophy and a year-long stay in Paris as a painter, he attended the University of Television and Film in Munich from 1967 to 1970. One of the most important figures that have penetrated the time during the last century,,New German Film". Founder of the distribution company Filmverlag der Autoren, from which his production, Road Movies, grew in Berlin in 1975. In addition to directing atmospherically unique films, Wenders moves in the medium of photography and his impressive vision of deserted landscapes intertwines themes of memory, time and movement.
Juliano Ribeiro Salgado was born in 1974 in Paris, where he grew up in a Franco-Brazilian environment. In 1996, he made his first documentary for Arte, Suzana, on the use of anti-personnel mines in Angola. This was followed by documentaries filmed in Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Brazil. Salgado then entered the London Film School, from which he graduated in 2003. He recorded a considerable number of short films and documentaries for French television. His film from 2009, Nauru, wandering the island, visited numerous festivals worldwide (Hot Docs, Toronto...). He is currently working on his first feature film that will be filmed in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Festival and awards:
• Cannes Film Festival 2014: Prize of the Ecumenical Jury - Special Mention, Wim Wenders, Juliano Ribeiro Salgado, Un Certain Regard - Special Jury Prize, Wim Wenders, Juliano Ribeiro Salgado
• San Sebastián International Film Festival 2014, Audience Award, Wim Wenders, Juliano Ribeiro Salgado
• Oslo Films from the South Festival 2014
• Helsinki International Film Festival 2014
• Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival - 2014
• Busan - International Film Festival - 2014
• Rio de Janeiro International Film Festival - 2014
• Telluride International Film Festival - 2014
• Međunarodni filmski festivalu Berlinu, 2014.
• Sydney International Film Festival 2014.